Welcome to your Transfer Student community

Hello everyone! Welcome to the official EZ-Transfer Blog!

My name is Jonathan Ortega, a recent community college transfer and UC Berkeley graduate.

I wanted to create a platform in which all transfer students, from all over the nation, could communicate freely. Being a transfer student myself, I know first hand how difficult it can be to get the right answers on when and how to transfer the right way.

This blog will be informative and fun; full of advice, stories, links, audio interviews with admission counselors, videos, and most importantly daily posts by you!

To begin, I will post some interesting challenges I faced while trying to transfer to Berkeley. I look forward to all of your comments and questions.

Please post any questions you might have about transferring to a four-year school, financial aid, scholarships, textbooks, classes, etc. I will try my best to answer such questions myself, though I encourage all bloggers to offer their own "pearls of wisdom" on a given question.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Apply for all scholarships!


Scholarships, and Grants are essentially free money for you to use towards school expenses. Some scholarships and grants come with restrictions for what the money can be used towards. For instance, if you win a $20,000 scholarship you have to (in most cases) use that money towards your school expenses and not buy a new car.

The main point of this post is to urge everyone to apply for any and all scholarships that you may be eligible for. Most college students think it is a waste of time to apply for grants and scholarships. Here are some of the reasons they come up with:

"I won't win...everyone will apply and they are only selecting one person."

"I don't think I am eligible...I could check, but that is too much work."

"If I apply I will be competing against the best of the best...how will I stand a chance?"

"What's the point? I am sure someone will be favored and they won't even read my application."

I too thought like this, and talked my way out of tens of thousands of dollars each semester. I finally went to the scholarship office at my community college and spoke with a counselor there. She shattered all of my pessimistic thoughts about applying for scholarships. This is what I learned from her.

1. Most people don't apply for scholarships. Why? Because of the pessimistic reasons listed above (I won't win, etc...).

2. All scholarships are awarded completely unbiasedly. The donors have rules for fair and equal disbursement of funds that the schools must follow.

3. Each application for a scholarship must be read by the awarding committee. This rule is also enforced by the donor.

4. In most cases, scholarships will have more than one winner. A donor may donate $20,000 for a scholarship fund and the committee may be able to award 4 winners @ $5,000 a scholarship, or even 20 winners @ $1,000 a scholarship. Never assume there can only be one winner.

The lady at the scholarship office also told me that in many cases, no one applies for a given scholarship and they have to save it for the next year hoping someone will take the free money from them. She also told me that many times one person will apply for a particular scholarship and win by default because no one else applied.

Go visit your scholarship office right now. You will be amazed by the amount of resources they have waiting for you to utilize. Even if you don't win a scholarship, just look at it as practice for the next application. You will surely win one if you keep practicing, and apply as much as possible.

After speaking with the scholarship counselor, I applied for and won many scholarships. Yes, there can be a lot of paperwork to fill out, essays to write, and interviews to be conducted, but at the end of the day the minimal work you have to put in to win a scholarship will pay off (literally).

1 comment:

  1. Also, FASTWEB is an AWESOME way to seek out and apply for scholarships. Its fast, easy, and really helpful. I have friends who have literally payed their entire way through school using it. I intend to use it as well.

    ReplyDelete